Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Michael Skinner aiming for Commonwealth Games

Michael SkinnerMichael Skinner ended the year on a high as he helped Great Britain to a bronze medal in the European Cross Country Championships and is now setting his sights on the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

The 29-year-old, from West Wickham, finished 20th in the European Championships in Brussels last Sunday, helping Great Britain clinch a team bronze behind Spain and France. He was also joined by fellow Blackheath and Bromley athlete Scott Overall who finished 39th.

Skinner was delighted to pick up a medal after missing out last year when Great Britain finished fourth.

He said: “I was pleased with my performance but more importantly as a team we finished with a medal. I ran solidly - nothing out of my skin - but it is always rewarding to run for your country as part of a team.

“I am already looking to next year’s event. After missing out on a medal in fourth place for the last two years I hope we can go even better than bronze and bring back a silver medal.”

Skinner hopes to focus on his track career in 2009 as he aims to make the England 5K team for the 2010 Commonwealth Games at Delhi in India.

He added: “I don’t what to tie myself down to cross country and I hope to get back on the track in the New Year.

“Obviously there is the World Championships coming up in August next year and I would love to be a part of that. It would be a big step for to get involved in that.

“I have just changed my coach and things are going well and my target at the moment is to be named in the team for Commonwealth Games in 2010.”

0 comments: