Thursday, June 10, 2010

Games Panel has no Money to Hire Caterers

A year after the organizing committee (OC) decided to hire international-level caterers for the Commonwealth Games Village and venues, it says there isn’t enough money to pay them and must look at ‘‘reworking the scope of work’’ to keep costs to a minimum, according to OC spokesperson Lalit Bhanot.

Asked why the catering firms chosen to do the job are still to be hired, Bhanot said: ‘‘We hope to resolve the issue within a few days.’’ On further enquiry, Bhanot admitted that the OC was ‘‘reworking the scope of work. It’s not a change in quality but rather in some areas of quantity.’’

The admission comes almost a week after famous English daily reported that none of the firms except the one selected for the Commonwealth Games Village short listed for the catering tender has been given a letter of award or signed contract. When the catering tender had been issued a year ago, costs had been estimated at Rs 60 crore, based on an Ernst & Young study. Adding confusion to the chaos is the fact that the OC top brass, including Chairperson Suresh Kalmadi, will be in London till June 10.

Story at a Glance:

June 4, 2009: Expression of interest by OC released

June 27, 2009: 25 companies respond, 13 qualify

Dec 15, 2009: RFP (request for proposal) released

January 18, 2010: Last date for submission of RFP. Extended to Jan 28, Feb 10 and then Feb 18, 2010

March 3: Five firms respond, OC decides to re-tender

May 2010: Six firms selected

May 2010: Only the CWG Village firm, is given contract

June 2010: OC mulls change in scope of work citing lack of adequate funds